IPUMS International has added 19 new census samples and new labor force surveys. First-time data release countries include four new countries from four different continents—Finland, Mauritius, Myanmar, and Suriname. Other newly added samples extend pre-existing series. Another first is the addition of labor force surveys from Spain and Italy. See a summary of the full IPUMS collection on the IPUMSI samples page.
In addition to the new data, check out the usage-enhancing highlights that are part of this recent release.
- Spatially-harmonized migration variables
- New work variables that maximize the utility of newly-harmonized labor force surveys
- New disability variables per The Washington Group recommendations
- Access to harmonization tables and code for registered IPUMS data users
- Population density variables for all samples with the requisite geography- POPDENSGEO1 and POPDENSGEO2 capture the population density in persons per square kilometer of the first and second administrative units of the household, respectively.
- Variables AREAMOLLWGEO1 and AREAMOLLWGEO2 provided for additional convenience
- New lower level single-sample variables for select countries, as well as regionalized variables and shapefiles at the 3rd administrative level for Senegal 2013 and 2002, South Africa 2016, 2011, and 2007, and Uganda 2014, and Myanmar 2014
Stay tuned for the future IPUMS International releases, which will include population density variables for lower-level geography, more 3rd-level geography variables for existing IPUMS International countries, and additional labor force surveys. In the meantime, be sure to share what you’re doing with IPUMS data with us on Twitter @ipumsi!